[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Klaus Stock" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:38:58 +0200
> I haven't deployed a monowall yet, but I need a very reliable
> firewall for
> my network so the only time it should be rebooted is if I need to
> move the
> power cable! I haven't followed this thread, but how prevalant is the
> freeze
> and lockup issue?

My longest uptime was about 7 days. Disruptions were accidental power losses
and reboots because of configuration changes, no freeze experienced so far.
I'm running 1.22 on a WRAP, very simple configuration; the only "fancy"
thing I do is a bit of upstream traffic shaping.

Apparently, my m0n0wall easily beats off-the-shelf routers from SMC and
D-Link when it comes to uptime. I have the vague suspicion that the
liklihood of router failures depends on the "kind of traffic" which runs
over them. In case of an SMC router, the probability of freezes increased
with the amouont of ftp traffic (regardless of active or passive mode. Btw,
note that the m0n0wall requires PASV mode for reliable ftp operation; it
won't freeze or crash, but some packets may not get through in active mode).

Even very high-priced commercial 19" routers/fws apparently freeze every
once in a while, although this might be caused by mis-configurations, some
say. Yup, you yank out big $$$ for a high-end router and it allows you to
enter configuration settings which apparently cause a freeze one week later?
Is that serious?

Well...

With such vague statements it becomes very hard to compare
routers/firewalls. "Reliability depends on what you do with it." Great.

I decided for the m0n0wall because there's a active community behind it with
a keen eye on stability...and if it doesn't work out, I could still try if
pfSense works better :-) (I picked a hardware platform which is compatible
to pfSense ()and some other packages) as well).

Best regards, Klaus
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg