[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:14:12 -0400
On 6/12/06, Sea <seaeric at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I haven't deployed a monowall yet, but I need a very reliable firewall for
> my network so the only time it should be rebooted is if I need to move the
> power cable! I haven't followed this thread, but how prevalant is the freeze
> and lockup issue?

I've never seen it and have around 30 systems out there.  The vast
majority of us have never seen it.  Most of the time that it happens,
it's caused by flaky hardware (bad RAM, bad power, overheating, etc.).
 There are a very few cases where people have tried a wide variety of
hardware and still have the same issue.  This is less than 5 people,
of a total installed base easily in excess of 20,000 (and probably far
more than that, just no way to get an accurate count).

In other words, as long as your hardware is good (obviously), you're
incredibly unlikely to ever see this.  Manuel put out a survey trying
to gather info on these issues, and didn't really gather enough
response to determine much of anything, and nowhere near enough to
actually dig into the problem.  Most of the people that were griping
about it at that time, who swore up and down that their hardware was
good, ended up coming back later saying the problems disappeared once
they fixed either a overheating issue, or bad power supply, or bad
RAM, etc.

300, 400, 500 day uptimes are far more common than these freeze issues.
http://img.m0n0.ch/gallery/172.jpg
http://img.m0n0.ch/gallery/171.jpg
http://img.m0n0.ch/gallery/168.jpg

-Chris