[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  david davidson <david underscore 7872 at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  IPsec VPN on VIA platforms: speed?
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I am volunteering to help a small school with their network, and have already purchased two Netgear
FVX538 units.  In testing, I have seen 20Mbps VPN throughput.  (It is spec'd for "90+Mbps")

Right now, we need the firewall to create a VPN between two cable modems, but in the near future, I
hope to install a wireless link, and keep the cable modem for a backup.

I am not sure how well, or even if, we will be able to lockdown the wi-fi network... hence the VPN
idea.

The FVX538 units are clearly still beta quality hardware/software, and even for the current set-up,
I would hate to leave them with this junk installed.

But, before I lobby Netgear for a refund, I need to find out if there is a reasonable alternative.
(We are pushing the budget as it is, so Cisco is certainly out of the picture.)

In testing with a couple of m0n0wall VMware images on one machine, I was able to push 40Mbps over an
IPsec tunnel. (albeit on a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz dual core box. )

The question is, if I were to go with a VIA C3 based m0n0wall installation, what kind of IPsec VPN
performance would I be able to expect?

 Thank you,

 David
http://mail.yahoo.com