[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Walter PC" <walterpc at mchsi dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:30:23 -0500
I am using one with a 6 meg DS3, and it has very little loss.  I see
upwards of 5.7mbps on the line at times.  I am running on a Nokia
IP330, which has AMD K6-2, with 256 megs of ram, and a cheap little 11
gig maxtor drive.

I have no extra services running, just using as a firewall, and LOVING IT!!

It did take some smacking around to get it installed on the Nokia,
but, hey, isn't that what REALLY makes this all fun :o)

On 6/12/06, Walter PC <walterpc at mchsi dot com> wrote:
> This has to be a hardware problem.
> I have 2 m0n0s that I have been working with and have had no problems at all with software - just
hardware (ps/mainboard problems)
> The two boxes I am using are Compaq Deskpro 2000, 166mhz Pentium I, 96MB ram, intelpro and linksys
NICs.  My personal home box has run for 150days straight, The only time I have shut it down is when
moving the equipment or upgrading firmware.

> As for bandwith...that could be it. Although I beleve this is also hardware related.
> I can push up to 35 MB/s though my boxes - yes... 35MB/s with a P1-166mhz - local traffic only of
coarse.
> My cable modem connection I have seen upwards to 1Mb/s combined downloading through my box.
> Captive portal - no
> PPTP VPN - yes
> IPSec - no
> WAN, LAN, OPT
> VLAN - no
>
> I do tech support for hotels that have both Intel and Via based Gateways - Recently we have been
seeing a lot of boxes from a vendor that are failing when bombarded with heavy traffic.  These boxes
just happen to have VIA 1ghz CPUs - Intel Based boxes with the same firmware do not have the
problem.
> Like mentioned already - low-priced low-profile, low-heat processesors are great but sometimes
just can't handle the load.  So if you are noticing hand when there is a lot of load I would
recommend trying a different hardware base.

> Hope this helps
> Ken.

> From: "Soren Vanggaard Jensen" <svanggaard at hotmail dot com>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This issues has been brought up before. Monowall/freebsd seems to have a bug
> > that may cause a sporadic total OS freeze/lockup. I'm bringing this up again
> > because i have an installation running monowall version 1.22, which freezes
> > solid every once in a while.
> >
> > Initially i used a SOEKRIS net 4501 hardware platform, but the system froze
> > approx. every 2-3 hours. I replaced the haw with a SOEKRIS net 4801
> > (replaced the PSU too) and have just seen a lockup after 7 days of uptime.
> > There's nothing in the setup out of the ordinary.
> >
> > What do you suggest i should do to eliminate the problem? Could i upload a
> > script causing the monowall to reboot every night at 4AM? Any examples of
> > such a script?
> >
> > BR.

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
Registered Linux User #409723