[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: How / why is pfSense different from m0n0wall?
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:24:35 +0100
david davidson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that pfSense is a fork of the m0n0wall project.
>
> As I am new to both Linux and BSD, can someone explain why pfSense split from m0n0wall, and how
both of these distros  differ is design or goals from, say, IPcop.

> Is pfSense "better" than m0n0wall? What does better mean is this context?
>
> Which should i use for a new installation?
>
> Thank you,
> David

> http://mail.yahoo.com

This is as balanced a view as you are going to get

 From
http://faq.pfsense.org/index.php?sid=67997&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=1&id=1&artlang=en

Why the fork? What's wrong with m0n0wall?

m0n0wall is a great system, but with a different focus. With its focus
towards embedded systems, m0n0wall's design makes it difficult to take
advantage of the capabilities of faster hardware with more storage
space. The one main area where this is apparent is additional
functionality. pfSense has packaging functionality that allows nearly
limitless expandability of functionality. In addition pfSense features
mulitple WAN support, CARP Clustering, and much more.

There will be some situations where m0n0wall will be more suitable than
pfSense, even after we reach a stable release.
For more information, see this message from m0n0wall's founder:
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-goals.html

Last update: 2005-12-27 20:02
Author: Chris Buechler
Revision: 1.0