[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  "'david davidson'" <david underscore 7872 at yahoo dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] How / why is pfSense different from m0n0wall?
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:46:08 -0400
> > >Is pfSense "better" than m0n0wall? What does better
> > mean is this context?
> > >

> > If more is better, yes. If stability is better, no.
> >

> Ahh. So pfSense is not well tested yet... I see.

pfSense is cutting edge using freebsd 6 where m0n0wall is stable using 4.11,
plus you have plenty of extras that will install in pfsense.

> > >Which should i use for a new installation?
> > >

> > If you want a firewall, with IPSec, use m0n0wall.
> > If you want WLAN support in the same box, use pfSense.
>
> Hmm...  WLAN seems like a pretty basic basic
> requirement for a SOHO FW/router combo. (?)
>
> What about a hardware crypto helper?

I use a Soekris 4211 with a Wireless B card from Netgate and if you don't
want B, you can get G cards to work if you use the 1.2b7 image which uses
bsd 6. It had some speed issues but it does work using G cards. I am happy
with my B card as my laptop is not my primary machine.

I have used the hardware crypto cards for clients and the ones Netgate sells
are nice.

> > About IPCop, It's Linux!!
> > Some ref:
> >

> I realize the BSD and Linux are different, but I have
> a very limited understanding of the differences.
>
> From a technical perspective, what are the various
> pros and cons of BSD vs. Linux in the context of a
> m0n0/pf/ipcop kind of project?

I'm not guru when it comes to specifics but I used smoothwall/ipcop for
years before switching to m0n0wall. The linux distros typically install on a
hard drive where m0n0wall runs entirely in memory, thus IF hacked, a reboot
brings you right back, but I've never heard of any hacks into m0n0wall.

Dave