[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anders Hagman <anders dot hagman at netplex dot se>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How / why is pfSense different from m0n0wall?
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:04:01 +0200
david davidson skrev:

>Hello,
>
>I noticed that pfSense is a fork of the m0n0wall project.
>
>As I am new to both Linux and BSD, can someone explain why pfSense split from m0n0wall, and how
both of these distros  differ is design or goals from, say, IPcop.

m0n0wall started with the FreeBSD version 4.x and the goal was to make
an easy to configure and easy to use firewall.
Two major features made this possible.
1. web interface
2. one configuration file (m0n0)

m0n0wall is just a firewall, therefor simple, but some people want
everything in one box.
pfSense is that box and to be able to support all these functions
FreeBSD version 5.x was chosen
as the OS platform. Now FreeBSD 6.x is used.

At one point m0n0wall switched to 5.x but the routing performance on
embedded (soekris) platforms was to bad. m0n0wall still uses 4.x.

>Is pfSense "better" than m0n0wall? What does better mean is this context?

If more is better, yes. If stability is better, no.

>Which should i use for a new installation?

If you want a firewall, with IPSec, use m0n0wall.
If you want WLAN support in the same box, use pfSense.

Of course my opinion.

About IPCop, It's Linux!!
Some ref:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/442660.html