[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Intel interface problems continue
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:35:34 -0500
Lee,

I understand what you are saying. That is exactly what I've done on preivous
hardware. My problem is this time these NIC or more accurately interfaces
are built onto the motherboard and are not recognized at all. When I use
option 1 and go through the process the result is "No link-up detected."
I've tested the cables and they are good. I get lights on the ports when I
plug cables into them. I'm thinking I should try booting from a Linux live
CD to see if the interfaces are recognized under something other than
FreeBSD.

Initally I tried to set the box up with 6 interfaces (2 onboard & 4 on a
PCI-X card) but ran into problems. Below is a complete desciption of my
inital problem.  In trying to get this working I pulled the PCI-X card and
still can't get the on-board interface to be recognized. I've got the most
uptodate BIOS and I've disabled everything that I can within the BIOS. There
isn't a setting for me to turn off PnP.

Any other suggestions would appreciated.

Tarun

Original message posted last week:
We are trying to get a new monowall server configured and I'm running into
major challenges. I attempted to verify the hardware specs before purchase
through the documentation and via this list but I'm concerned I may have
overlooked something. In a nutshell I can't get the network interfaces
recognized and working.

Objective to have monowall with 6 interfaces.

Hardware details:
Supermicro PDSMi motherboard
Pentium D 920 (dual core 2.8 GHz)
Dual 10/100/1000 NICs (Intel 82573V)
PCI-X card: Intel PRO 1000 MT Quad port adaptor (uses 2 82546EB controllers)
512 MB RAM (2 - 256MB modules)
1 GB IDE flash module

Monowall version: generic-pc-1.22

Problem specifics:
On initial boot monowall reports 2 interfaces and assigns them as sis0-> LAN
and sis1-> WAN. But neither of these interfaces work. If I select option 1
to assign interfaces I am then presented with a list of 4 other interfaces:
em0, em1, em2, em3. I've tried assigning these interfaces as follows:

em0-> WAN
em1-> LAN
em2 -> OPT1
em3 -> OPT2

Note, I could not use the autodetect option. It would fail. Auto detect
would only recognize em1 and em0. I entered the values for em2 and em3
manually. Manually configuring the interfaces gets WAN and LAN functional
but the other interfaces (OPT1 & OPT2) are reported as down in the webGUI.

Fixes attempted:
Re-downloaded 1.22 and re-wrote IDE flash module
Disabled USB & SATA in BIOS
Set large disk support to 'Other' as BIOS suggested for UNIX type systems.
There doesn't appear to be a BIOS setting to turn off Plug n Play. Also I
didn't find anything that relates to designating the OS in the BIOS.