[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Intel interface problems continue
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:06:35 -0400
On 6/14/06, Tarun Kundhi <tkundhi at inebraska dot com> wrote:

> My problem is this time these NIC or more accurately interfaces
> are built onto the motherboard and are not recognized at all.

FreeBSD 4.x can be very finicky about new hardware, especially onboard
NIC's.  From what I've seen, the BIOS generally likes to share an IRQ
between onboard NIC's and your USB ports, or some other hardware.  4.x
won't detect a NIC that's sharing an IRQ.

One thing I'd try is booting the pfsense live CD and see what it
detects.  I'm guessing the new FreeBSD version it uses will detect
everything just fine.  If it doesn't detect them, then you have
something pretty seriously wrong (or a board that's flat out
incompatible with FreeBSD at this time).

If it's even possible to get them working on 4.x, it'll be via mucking
with some BIOS settings (make sure plug and play OS is disabled,
disable any power management and any unneeded ports, devices, etc.)

-Chris