[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at TechnologEase dot com>
 To:  Damien Hull <dhull at digitaloverload dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall vs Linksys etc...
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:19:16 -0500
Damien Hull wrote:
> How does m0n0wall compare to SOHO products like Linksys, DLink etc...?
>
> Lets say you have a small office with 10 people. 2 or 3 work from
> home/coffee shop on weekends. There's also a branch office that needs
> VPN access.
>
> The reason I ask is because the wrap setup with m0n0wall runs around
> $215 or so. The SOHO solution is only $75-$100.

You are dealing with an entirely different animal in m0n0wall than one
of the OTS wireless, broadband routers.  Your level of control is way
higher.  In my opinion, with m0n0wall, you get commercial, business
level features.  In that regard, there is no comparison in my mind.  I
went looking for something (and found m0n0wall) for this very reason.

I can't say how it stacks up performance wise in a SOHO environment, so
someone else will have to comment there, but from a feature set
stand-point, there is no comparison to the OTS products.  m0n0wall blows
them away.

Chris