[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2nd management login
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:35:22 -0400
On 6/14/06, Walter PC <walterpc at mchsi dot com> wrote:

> M0n0wall is a perfect example of a VPN server that does not play well with
> clients that are behind a NAT.

Technically correct, but misleading.  PPTP is an example of a VPN
protocol that does not play well with NAT.  Doesn't matter if it's
m0n0wall or anything else.

> PPTP passthrough doesn't really work that well.

And many firewalls break or block outbound GRE in their default NAT
configuration, hence breaking PPTP.

> As mentioned before, the $$$$ equipment we have all have Plug-N-Play support -

This has come up several times before, and is still the same.  I'm not
aware of any open source software that does this.  If you can find
something specific that could be a solution, post here and let us
know.  It would most likely make its way in, unless it's a real mess.

> Maybe Smoothwalls uPnP is different then what I am describing.

uPnP is this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
not at all related to what you're talking about.

-Chris