[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Krist van Besien" <krist dot vanbesien at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Issue with m0n0wall and netopia ADSL modem in bridged mode.
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:02:26 +0200
On 6/14/06, Krist van Besien <krist dot vanbesien at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a netopia ADLS modem, and I had it configured with the IP address
> 192.168.3.100. I now added a m0n0wall in to the mix, and set the modem to
> "bridged mode". After configuring m0n0wall to use PPPoe on its WAN
> interface, and entering my username and password I can internet find. So fa
> so good.
>
> The only problem is that I now can't access the modem anymore. The only
> sollution is to temporarily switch the WAN interface back to a static
> address (192.168.3.1). Then I can get the webbased admin interface of the
> modem again. I don't need it a lot, just to check the speed of my connection
> (ofcourse, it could be that Bluewin never changes this).
>
> But is there a trick I can use to access the modem anyway? A static route or
> proxy arp or alias on that interface?

Thinking this over myself I think what I need is the following:

- The route to 192.168.2.0/24 should go to the WAN interface. I think
this is allready the case, since this is the default.
- Packets from 192.168.1.0/24 should, when sent out over the WAN
interface with destination 192.168.3.0/24 be nat'ed with a source
address of 192.168.3.1.
- The WAN interface should also repsond to ARP requests for IP
192.168.3.1 so the router knows where to send its response.

If the above asumptions are correct I only need to find out how to do
this on m0n0wall. Any ideas here?

Krist

--
krist dot vanbesien at gmail dot com