[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mark Jawdoszak" <MarkJ at logsysgroup dot com>
 To:  "Damien Hull" <dhull at digitaloverload dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: m0n0wall vs Linksys etc...
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:12:09 +0100
Hi Damien,

The prices you've put down are only if you use the WRAP solution - what you have to remember is that
m0n0wall will run on pretty much any PC configuration... so an old machine with 2 NIC's lying around
your office will suffice!

As far as comparing the two, I have a NetGear router at my home, and some larger LinkSys ones in the
office where I work.  We also use m0n0walls for other purposes (not "completely" as firewalls, and
it gets a bit complicated what we're using it for).
Anyway, back on track - I find m0n0walls real easy to setup, the fact that they run on any old
hardware means its cheap.  The webGUI interface is the best I've used and it keeps on getting
better, and there's a great deal more tools that m0n0wall has and can do than some of the other

All in all, I think the m0n0wall is a fantastic tool, and I use it at home, have put them in other
peoples home networks, and use them at work - although in conjunction with other routers (we had a
m0n0wall up, working, routing and more secure in less time than it took to get a firebox up and

Mark Jawdoszak
Logsys Support, Leeds
+44 (0)113 384 0400 - ext 411
markj at logsysgroup dot com