[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Mark Jawdoszak" <MarkJ at logsysgroup dot com>
 Cc:  "Damien Hull" <dhull at digitaloverload dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: m0n0wall vs Linksys etc...
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:30:21 -0500
I used m0n0 in a comercial ISP back a couple years ago.  m0n0 is more
of a commercial firewall, industrial strength, it just gets used by
more small business/home geek types due to it being both free and Open
Source.  If the dev dude ever decided to take it commercial, I think
he could beat out a good number of the ones that sell for very high
dollars!

My 2 cents.

On 6/15/06, Mark Jawdoszak <MarkJ at logsysgroup dot com> wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> The prices you've put down are only if you use the WRAP solution - what you have to remember is
that m0n0wall will run on pretty much any PC configuration... so an old machine with 2 NIC's lying
around your office will suffice!

> As far as comparing the two, I have a NetGear router at my home, and some larger LinkSys ones in
the office where I work.  We also use m0n0walls for other purposes (not "completely" as firewalls,
and it gets a bit complicated what we're using it for).
> Anyway, back on track - I find m0n0walls real easy to setup, the fact that they run on any old
hardware means its cheap.  The webGUI interface is the best I've used and it keeps on getting
better, and there's a great deal more tools that m0n0wall has and can do than some of the other

> All in all, I think the m0n0wall is a fantastic tool, and I use it at home, have put them in other
peoples home networks, and use them at work - although in conjunction with other routers (we had a
m0n0wall up, working, routing and more secure in less time than it took to get a firebox up and

> Mark Jawdoszak
> Logsys Support, Leeds
> +44 (0)113 384 0400 - ext 411
> markj at logsysgroup dot com

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
Registered Linux User #409723