[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2nd management login
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:14:29 -0500
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:35:22 -0400
  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Walter PC <walterpc at mchsi dot com> wrote:

>> M0n0wall is a perfect example of a VPN server that does not play
>>well with
>> clients that are behind a NAT.

> Technically correct, but misleading.  PPTP is an example of a VPN
> protocol that does not play well with NAT.  Doesn't matter if it's
> m0n0wall or anything else.

I was going to say this as well.  Everything breaks PPTP...

>> PPTP passthrough doesn't really work that well.

> And many firewalls break or block outbound GRE in their default NAT
> configuration, hence breaking PPTP.

that is poorly documented.  But things like that make me money!

>> As mentioned before, the $$$$ equipment we have all have Plug-N-Play
>>support -

> This has come up several times before, and is still the same.  I'm
>not
> aware of any open source software that does this.  If you can find
> something specific that could be a solution, post here and let us
> know.  It would most likely make its way in, unless it's a real
>mess.

One that I know of.  I can not remember the name, but I want to say
"Nexgate?"  Hilton hotels require it for the solution they use.  (I
tried google, but "Hilton internet gateway" only gets vacation deals

Cisco APs.  They run a vlan for EVERY client, and proxy arp everything
they see on the vlan.  Is that messy? :-)

>> Maybe Smoothwalls uPnP is different then what I am describing.

> uPnP is this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
> not at all related to what you're talking about.

Darn those confusing terms... :-)