[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2nd management login
 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:18:03 -0500
My Linksys WRT54G has this same type of setup.  It will create a whole
new network for each wireless client that connects, if so
configured...I have not done it, as it seemed like it might kill the
poor thing.

On 6/15/06, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 6/15/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> >
> > > And many firewalls break or block outbound GRE in their default NAT
> > > configuration, hence breaking PPTP.

> > that is poorly documented.  But things like that make me money!
> >

> My sentiments exactly.  ;)  The PIX has to be the most popular very
> poorly understood firewall in the world.
>

> > One that I know of.  I can not remember the name, but I want to say
> > "Nexgate?"  Hilton hotels require it for the solution they use.
>
> Only Nexgate I've heard of Nexcom's firewall appliances.  If you find
> out anything further, post back.
>

> > They also require
> > Cisco APs.
>
> Er, it's open source, but they require Cisco APs?  seems strange.
> though their VLAN setup may only work with features that Cisco APs
> have.
>

> > They run a vlan for EVERY client, and proxy arp everything
> > they see on the vlan.  Is that messy? :-)
> >

> That's pretty messy, implementation-wise, but probably acceptable
> given the situation.  I was thinking messy along the lines of
> something that has some outrageous dependencies like Perl, Python,
> Ruby, and 50 MB of extra libraries to go along with.  :)
>
> VLAN for every client - how do they manage that?  A single SSID per
> client with SSID to VLAN mappings, or is there some other slick
> feature in Cisco APs I'm not aware of?
>
> -Chris

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
Registered Linux User #409723