[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:56:47 +0200
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 12. June 2006:

>I've never seen it and have around 30 systems out there.  The vast
>majority of us have never seen it.  Most of the time that it happens,
>it's caused by flaky hardware (bad RAM, bad power, overheating, etc.).
>There are a very few cases where people have tried a wide variety of
>hardware and still have the same issue.  This is less than 5 people,
>of a total installed base easily in excess of 20,000 (and probably far
>more than that, just no way to get an accurate count).

Unfortunately I am one of those users that frequently experienced the
freeze. Sometimes after 3 days uptime, sometimes after 4 hours,
sometimes after 10 days, but I never had longer uptimes than 10 days.

Chris is right: this only seems to happen to very few people and I too
thought that there is maybe some hardware problem. So in addition to
my Soekris net4801 I bought a WRAP and utilized that one (incl.
different power adaptor, different CF card.

However the problem remained the same, I still encountered the freezes
in irregular intervals. Symptoms always were: unit just stopped working
and was obviously on 100% CPU, as the CPU chip felt very hot and could
only be touched for a short time. I had to powercycle the unit. Logs
(to a Linux server) also showed nothing out of ordinary.

I then switched to pfSense, now have 4 weeks uptime on the 1.0 beta4
(Soekris net4801) also tested on the WRAP with about 3 weeks uptime
(beta2) and never had the issues again. Nobody knows what causes the
lockups, since I am one of the very few people that have it, there
might be something "different" in my scenario, maybe an accumulation
of "unusual" activities/packets, etc.

For all I know: my hardware (WRAP and Soekris) both seem to be okay,
since the freezes never happened again. pfSense is of course kind of
bloated on an embedded PC, also has much lower throughput than
m0n0wall, however it works fine on my DSL connection and I need not
reboot this one.

To answer your question: I'd say give m0n0wall a try, in the highly
unlikely event of freezes, you still have another option ;)

Best regards   Frederick