[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:28:31 -0400
> I recently ordered a nice half-depth 1U ITX chassis for a colleague's setup.
> I must say that it, combined with a via C3 (or one of the later chips) makes
> a really nice setup. The half-depth means it can go into a wallbox along
> with switches and patch panels. I think this is probably the route I'll take
> with firewall deployments in the future, provided the via chips' floating
> point performance (or lack thereof) doesn't cripple throughput too much.

While not cheap ($399US to start), it pretty much describes your
description. I just bought one at the advice of a another poster. I am
planning on using this box in a co-lo.

http://shopping.hacom.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=74

{snip}The RM1U CV860A3R10N rackmount is a short-depth computing
hardware platform.  VIA C3 1Ghz Nehemiah CPU with its Padlock ACE is
well-suited for embedded IPSec VPN implementation. Kernel patches are
required to utilize the Padock ACE. Linux kernel 2.6.11 does have the
Padlock support.....more{end-snip}

-Don