[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] vlan bridging broken?
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:37:43 -0400
On 6/15/06, Jonathan k. Creasy <jonathan at bluegrass dot net> wrote:
> I ran across the below thread while trying to trouble shoot my
> vlan/bridging problem. My device appears to be complaining that it sees
> the switch on both interfaces.

Bridging + VLAN's in FreeBSD 4.x doesn't really seem to work well.

The "loop" you're seeing in the logs makes me wonder if somehow you
end up with a L2 loop when you configure this.  There is no STP in
FreeBSD 4.x's bridging code, so if two interfaces end up on the same
broadcast domain you'll end up with a L2 loop which will usually make
the entire network segment unusable.

I've never tried bridging VLAN's so I don't have much to offer other
than that.  I encourage anybody that's done this in the past to take
the time to send their 2 cents.  Jonathan's employer provides free
colocation for two servers that host some of the m0n0.ch sites, as
well as several other BSD-related open source projects.

-Chris