[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Bao C. Ha" <bao at hacom dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:21:25 -0400
Bao,

> 1. The cv860a3r10-based 1u rack utilizes low-profile PC133 dimms.
> It is becoming harder to get this type of dimms. We are not in the
> DRAM business and that's reflected in the DRAM price. It's the
> same issue with the CF.

In terms of the 1U unit, since it has an IDE slot available, I would
be interested in having the option for the transcend module. (just a
suggestion) Mainly because, while I do have a cf reader adapter in a
test box, I could see others not having this Simply inserting a module
directly into the IDE connector would eliminate the need for an
adapter. I supose I could have just as easily ordered it separate
myself, but wanted to purchase a package solution.

> 2. Why Linux? We have the expertise to develop Linux device
> drivers. However, we are very new to FreeBSD and don't want to
> make much claims about it. Our hardware have also been extensively
> utilized in the OpenBSD community, mainly in the Universities,
> education institutes.

Would you consider offering a m0n0wall image setup, even if you have a
disclaimer about not supporting it ?

> 3. For cheap hardware, I would just go to FleaBay once in a
> while to get those thin-client. They are small, quiet and fast.
> A 180Mhz Geode with 64MB RAM can do wonders. I sold a good
> M0n0wall machine on FleaBay for about $6-7 a month ago, I think.

Could you tell me the website for fleabay? I went to
http://www.fleabay.com and was prompted for a username and password.

~ Don