[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bao C. Ha" <bao at hacom dot net>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:11:45 -0700
Hi Don

I am sorry. I refer eBay as FleaBay.

1. The Trasncend module is basically an IDE Disck-on-Module.
We did offer the PQI DOM two years ago with no taker. There
are quite a few options on how to do it. There are two IDE
slots on the mainboard: 40-pin and 44-pin. The 40-pin DOM
requires a power supply, while the 44-pin DOM does not.
Since the 1u is short in height, depending on applications,
the DOM needs to be either vertical or horizontal. We can
customize it but a generic solution does not work very well
in all cases.

2. We do offer M0n0wall setups, i.e.

http://shopping.hacom.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=79

M0n0wall install is very easy on these machines.  The only
thing we can save you is the headaches like putting the IDE
channel to CHS. And don't use the high capacity CF, especially
those high speed one.

PfSense is different. And we have spent quite sometimes to
get it to install correctly on our systems. We specifically
use Grub to make the CF to work.

Thanks.
Bao

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:21:25PM -0400, Don Munyak wrote:
> Bao,
>
> >1. The cv860a3r10-based 1u rack utilizes low-profile PC133 dimms.
> >It is becoming harder to get this type of dimms. We are not in the
> >DRAM business and that's reflected in the DRAM price. It's the
> >same issue with the CF.
>
> In terms of the 1U unit, since it has an IDE slot available, I would
> be interested in having the option for the transcend module. (just a
> suggestion) Mainly because, while I do have a cf reader adapter in a
> test box, I could see others not having this Simply inserting a module
> directly into the IDE connector would eliminate the need for an
> adapter. I supose I could have just as easily ordered it separate
> myself, but wanted to purchase a package solution.
>
> >2. Why Linux? We have the expertise to develop Linux device
> >drivers. However, we are very new to FreeBSD and don't want to
> >make much claims about it. Our hardware have also been extensively
> >utilized in the OpenBSD community, mainly in the Universities,
> >education institutes.
>
> Would you consider offering a m0n0wall image setup, even if you have a
> disclaimer about not supporting it ?
>
> >3. For cheap hardware, I would just go to FleaBay once in a
> >while to get those thin-client. They are small, quiet and fast.
> >A 180Mhz Geode with 64MB RAM can do wonders. I sold a good
> >M0n0wall machine on FleaBay for about $6-7 a month ago, I think.
>
> Could you tell me the website for fleabay? I went to
> http://www.fleabay.com and was prompted for a username and password.
>
> ~ Don

Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha
Hacom OpenBrick Distributor USA http://www.hacom.net
voice: (714) 530-8817 fax: (714) 530-8818
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD 42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38