[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bao C. Ha" <bao at hacom dot net>
 To:  Aaron Cherman <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:55:44 -0700
Hi Aaron,

No big deal! Sorry that I sometimes seem very sensitive.

Three years ago, I and John-Paul Smetts of OpenBrick.Org
worked together on the OpenBrick ideals. We wanted to provide
a hardware that was based on an open-source design, well
supported by the open-source communities. Unfortunately,
it did not work out since we could not achieve the volumes,
to make us competitive.

I have seen many of the system boards always include a CD
with Windows drivers. But, most of the sales have been
going to the Linux/BSD crowd. How many of the mini-ITX
boards are actually used in a Windows environment? How
many of them actually include a CD with Linux or BSD
drivers? Most of the time, we have to figure out the
driver issues ourselves.  In one case, we dropped a
video board with four (4) BT878A chips because the
manufacturer would not disclose how to program the
watchdog. We actually reverse-engineered it, but would
not dare to touch it due to legal issues.

Anyway, I am just hoping that as the open-source movement
keeps marching on, the communities will gain the benefits.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Best Regards.