[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Stoffel" <john at stoffel dot org>
 To:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Offtopic - quiet/cheap servers (Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware)
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:29:21 -0400
I've been looking for a home server box, something that's got a serial
console, plenty of memory, dual disks (for RAID 1) and a resonable
processor.  Something that I can stuff in a corner where it won't make
much noise and just serve up stuff:  NFS, CIFS, MySQL, HTTP, PHP,
etc.  A nice home server.  Doesn't need sound, video or anything like
that.

A need for a KVM setup is a deal breaker.  I keeping thinking an old
Solaris UltraSPARC would do it, but it would be too loud/power hungry.

Boy, I do want everything!  :]

John