[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Offtopic - quiet/cheap servers (Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware)
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:43:53 -0500
From: "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
In message <17555 dot 5281 dot 777573 dot 705064 at stoffel dot org>, John Stoffel
<john at stoffel dot org> writes
>>I've been looking for a home server box, something that's got a serial
>>console, plenty of memory, dual disks (for RAID 1) and a resonable
>>processor.  Something that I can stuff in a corner where it won't make
>>much noise and just serve up stuff:  NFS, CIFS, MySQL, HTTP, PHP,
>>etc.  A nice home server.  Doesn't need sound, video or anything like
>>that.

>I'm currently using Compaq SFF machines as servers here.  I have a
>Deskpro EN SFF 733MHz running Linux with 2 x 250Gb SATA disks (with a
>PCI SATA controller) - one disk sits in the CD-ROM bay in an adapter.

>The other machine is a Compaq EVO D510 SFF 2GHz P4, again with two disks
>but 2 x 80Gb Maxtor IDE quiet ones on the built-in controller and again
>one of them sits in the CD-ROM bay.

>Both machines have a 'Network Server Mode' which allows them to boot
>'headless' without keyboard, mouse and monitor.  I have a Compaq KVM so
>mine don't need to be set in that mode.

>Incidentally, I'm using a 350MHz Compaq EN SFF for m0n0wall, with an 8Mb
>Nikon CF Card.

>These SFF machines are reliable and are generally quiet - a lot depends
>on the disk and the processor fan on the EVO winds up when doing heavy
>processing.

I too have been using a lot of SFF machines.  However, I have found Dell to
be easier to run headless than some of the older Compaqs.  Some Compaqs
require you to run no_f1.exe to patch the BIOS.  None of the Dells have this
problem.

                            Lee