[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Offtopic - quiet/cheap servers (Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware)
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:41:54 +0100
> >I've been looking for a home server box, something that's
> got a serial
> >console, plenty of memory, dual disks (for RAID 1) and a resonable
> >processor.  Something that I can stuff in a corner where it
> won't make
> >much noise and just serve up stuff

I tend to use stuff left over from upgrades and shove it into an old case
with a quiet power supply.

If you're building from new and you have no requirement for heavy floating
point work, you can't go wrong with one of the Epia board/CPU combos for
energy efficiency, plus a couple of large, quiet IDE or SATA drives. Storage
Review (www.storagereview.com) is a great resource for finding out about
drives' performance/noise/power consumption.

Out of curiosity - why the requirement for a serial console? If you can get
away with standard PC components (i.e. VGA out) I'd imagine you'd save a
fair amount over industrial/embedded hardware. You don't have to use the VGA
out once you've got an OS on the thing - either use SSH or, if you want a
GUI, run X over VNC.

Regards,

Chris