[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Offtopic - quiet/cheap servers (Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware)
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:33:43 -0500
From: "david davidson" <david underscore 7872 at yahoo dot com>

>> I too have been using a lot of SFF machines.
>> However, I have found Dell to
>> be easier to run headless than some of the older
>> Compaqs.  Some Compaqs
>> require you to run no_f1.exe to patch the BIOS.
>> None of the Dells have this
>> problem.

> What SFF machines have you had luck with? I'm in the
> market for a couple.

I have used a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX200 SFF machines.  This has a lot to
do with finding a bunch at a good price. :-)  P3 866 with 256 meg of rdram.
Memory is a little light for a desktop, (and expensive to upgrade) so it is
cheap, but perfect for m0n0wall.  Onboard nic is 3com, and it is a little
case.  I have also used GX110s and a few GX1s with similar results.  Some
links...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-OptiPlex-GX110-SFF-PIII-Pentium-III-Windows-2000_W0QQitemZ8827526730QQihZ005QQcategoryZ51119QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-OptiPlex-GX110-SFF-PIII-Pentium-III-Windows-2000_W0QQitemZ8827625361QQihZ005QQcategoryZ51119QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Optiplex-GX110-SFF-Pentium-III-P3-System_W0QQitemZ8827400306QQihZ005QQcategoryZ51119QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem