[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] booting from compact flash
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:04:55 -0500
From: "Damien Hull" <dhull at digitaloverload dot net>

> Here's what I've got.

>   1. Dell Optiplex gx1

I KNOW this system works, as I have a few in production.  (Three, I think)

>   2. CF to IDE
>   3. 1G CF card

Brand...  Some cheap stuff flat out will not work.  That is why we post
about the transcend drives so often.  They work well, and are cheap.
Psudo Hard drive   32mb
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V
Psudo Hard drive   16mb
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS16MDOM40V

> I downloaded generic-pc image of m0n0wall. Followed the instructions for
> installing the image.

A common mistake is to write /dev/ad0s0 instead of /dev/ad0 and try and
write to a partition, not the boot block.

> When I boot the CF card all I get is "boot error". While searching for a
> fix I found some info that suggested changing the BIOS IDE setting to
> normal. I don't have this option. I left it on AUTO.

Highlight the "auto" selection and hit the "-" key to go back to "USER1" or
"USER2" and manually enter your settings.  I think just about anything will
work as Grub doesn't really need it.

> What's going on here and how do I fix the problem?

Change devices, or manually config the system.  Transcend autodetects fine.

> Oh, I have IPCop on a CF card and it works fine.

Then it should work with a manual config.

                        Lee