[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] netbios over IPSEC
 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:51:21 -0400
On 6/20/06, Brandon Hamilton <bhamilton at snowcomputer dot com> wrote:

> I've modified the host file so that the netbios name serveracrossvpn
> resolves to 192.168.10.200.  When I open \\serveracrossvpn it opens a
> window with 0 objects.  If I open \\192.168.10.200 is shows me all the
> shares correctly

Maybe something stale in your DNS cache (since you used the hosts
file, which is fine).  Just restart the machine to make sure
everything's cleared out.  Also make sure it is indeed named hosts and
not host, and is in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc.

After you pull up \\serveracrossvpn, you can run a 'netstat -a' from a
command prompt to see what you're actually connecting to.  It sounds
like maybe you're connecting to something other than you're intending.

Your name resolution should be fine as is, no need for WINS or lmhosts
(though you also might want to try putting the hostname and IP in your
lmhosts file).

-Chris