[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble with ADSL+2
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:05:10 -0400
On 6/21/06, John Crowley <jcrowley at gmx dot net> wrote:
> I'm running m0n0wall v1.22 on WRAP. Forgot that, sorry.

I asked because some older versions had issues with MSS clamping under
some circumstances.  1.22 is fine.

> I set MTU to 1400 and it _works_!! Thanks a lot!
> Does it make sense to set MTU higher, as far as it still works?

Yes.  1400 is just a good number to test with.  Using the highest
possible MTU with things still working will give you very slightly
better performance (slightly fewer packets on large transfers).  I'd
try 1460 next, if that works, try going up by 10 until it breaks, then
back down until you find the sweet spot.  I'm not familiar with ADSL2,
nor German Internet services, so don't know what the ideal MTU would
or might be.

-Chris