[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nathaniel Irons <ndi dash l at bumppo dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] our pokey VPN
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:40:55 -0700
Chris Buechler (cbuechler at gmail dot com) wrote on 6/21/06, 9:20 AM:

> scp is probably the worst thing I can think of offhand to test network
> throughput.  It's terrible at filling any sort of connection.  Try
> iperf:

Thanks, that looks like a fine thing to know about. I'll give it a run
this evening when the network's quiet.

> That doesn't sound too bad.  VNC is somewhat frustrating on Gb LAN's.
> :)  It's absolutely terrible on links with lower bandwidth and higher
> latency.

The two factors making me think there's something wrong are the fact that
it used to be considerably faster, even before we added the second T1, and
the large disparity between inbound and outbound throughput, though our
connectivity is symmetrical. There's no disparity to speak of when not
connected through the VPN.

We're generally running VNC in grayscale, which should cut down on a lot
of the bandwidth requirements (they're Mac clients, for what it's worth).
PPTP is putting a hurt on it somewhere, and it's not something I can
replicate with the VPN in my m0n0wall 1.22 setup at home, despite having
much lower outbound bandwidth (768 Kb vs 3 Mb).

Thanks again,

  -nat