[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nathaniel Irons <ndi dash l at bumppo dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] our pokey VPN
 Date:  Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:49:48 -0700
Kristian Shaw (monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk) wrote on 6/23/06, 11:21 AM:

> Do you see packet loss across the VPN connection?

A good thought, but no, the connection quality seems pretty good. Office
to home (the slow way):

    155 packets transmitted, 155 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 57.404/60.292/77.509/2.298 ms

Home to office (the fast way):

    101 packets transmitted, 101 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 55.501/63.030/80.626/3.976 ms

Graham Dunn (graham dot dunn at leitch dot com) wrote on 6/23/06, 11:17 AM:

> Is there any possibility that your ISP is interfering with VPN traffic
> inbound to your home?

Sadly, the problem's been reported by everyone who uses the VPN on a
regular basis, and they don't all share a common ISP. I've tried it
through Comcast and a local DSL provider.

Chris Buechler (cbuechler at gmail dot com) wrote on 6/23/06, 1:32 PM:

> I'd talk to the ISP at this point.  Is there any way you can take down
> one of the bonded links and try it with one link, to see if they have
> the bonding screwed up somehow?

De-bonding the T1 would be tricky, but if the ISP is no help, I'll try
setting up an external PPTP server to see if I can repeat the problem
there. Darned convenient that m0n0wall apparently makes PPTP delegation so
straightforward.

Thanks to all who replied. I'd love to hear any additional ideas, though
it's starting to look to me like the bases have been covered.

  -nat