[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Taylor <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] M0n0wall & Token Ring
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:10:06 -0400
Special protocol?  You probably think that because most things communicating
over Token Ring are old applications that communicate with SNA or some other
archaic protocol.  But, you can still run IP too.  Now, if you want some old
app (using SNA, for example) to communicate through Monowall, you'll need
something to run DLSW, which encapsulates SNA in TCP/IP.  This can be done
with Cisco routers, though you'll need one on each end of the connection.

This just reminded me of a company that we have dealt with in the past.  The
techs there always associated SNA with Token Ring and TCP/IP with Ethernet.
When we raised the possibility of running SNA over Ethernet, it just about
blew their minds... :)