[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] M0n0wall & Token Ring
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:29:23 -0500
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:54:08 -0400
  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Michel R Vaillancourt <mvaillancourt at privalodc dot com>
>wrote:

>>         That having been said, is there a way to get M0n0wall to
>>recognize a Token
>> Ring card?

> I think this is the longest thread ever without having a definitive
> answer.  :)

I was beginning to wonder... :-)

> No, m0n0wall cannot support token ring because there is no token
>ring
> support in FreeBSD at all.  A group was working on support back in
>the
> 90's, but ditched their efforts when they came to the conclusion
> almost everybody else had already - TR was dying very quickly.  And
> good riddance to that junk too.

90's?  There is some action in 2002.
 Support will not be easy, and will require a custom image, and you
may need a different card.  However, you may be one of only 6 people
in the world in a position to do so. ;-)

> Now it's 2006.  Token ring is beyond dead, it belongs in a dumpster.
> :)

Can't disagree there.  But technical people are often NOT the ones
making technical decisions. <sigh>

> I think you'll be *VERY* hard pressed in 2006 to find any firewall
> with TR support, other than maybe something like Check Point where
>you
> bring your own hardware.

This is very true.  You will have to look at cost benefit.  There are
Ether/TR bridges that come up on eBay from time to time, but they are
unpredictable, and irreplaceable.  You will have to decide if you want
a couple of spare bridges in a closet, or a lot of development, and a
couple of spare TR cards in a closet.  (Or a mains voltage power spike
to the TR network...)

                               Lee