[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] M0n0wall & Token Ring
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:54:08 -0400
On 6/26/06, Craig FALCONER <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz> wrote:

> Find an ethernet card for the AS 400 and all becomes rosy,

Well, yeah absolutely, if that particular model will support Ethernet.
 But changing things on those boxes can get absolutely ridiculous.
Type 28 cryptic commands, sacrifice a goat to the IBM gods, and hope
like hell it starts working.  Personally, I'm thankful I basically
never have to deal with the one my employer has.

My guess is this probably isn't a feasible option because nobody wants
to mess with the 400 since it's working as is.

> Or here's a gigabit ethernet NIC for as400 for only $700, which is still
> probably lots less than migrating the functions of the as400 to anything
> more modern :-)

$700?  That's dirt cheap for anything that goes into a AS400.  IBM
charges about that much for a drive cage with a 73 GB SCSI drive
(sadly, I'm not really exaggerating).

"more modern" is right on, though IBM still sells tons of the things
for a pretty penny and plenty of companies still buy them.  This is
already way OT, I won't get off on my soap box about how ridiculous so
many things on the iSeries are.  I just must not be "old school"
enough to appreciate the overpriced mainframe-esque crap.  :)

-Chris