[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:18:20 -0500
From: "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>

>> For all following this thread, I have just finished a fresh install and
>> config of m0n0 1.22 on one of three new Dell PowerEdge 1850 servers,
>> running off of a USB flash drive.  I plan on putting this unit into
>> production tomorrow afternoon.  I will let you know how it goes.

> And the saga continues...  I didn't have chance yesterday to make the
> change to the Dell server so I let things run and was going to make the
> change today.  After just over 9 days uptime the existing box locked up
> last night at 12:26 am.  By the time I got the alarm, got to the office
> and got everything changed over, we were back up and running on the new
> server at 12:55 am.  At 8:06 am today, the Dell server locks up.  If I do
> the math right that's 7:11 of uptime.  Again, this config is one built
> from scratch on 1.22, brand new server out of the box.  This now makes (I
> think) 6 different hardware platforms I've tried (all of which work great
> in my other m0n0 apps).  None of these hardware platforms have shared ANY
> of the same components, they are all unique.

I feel your pain.  How about this...  You have plenty of hardware, so set up
a m0n0wall in front of your m0n0wall.  Have it do nothing.  (No VPN, traffic
shaping...  Just basic firewall, routing/NAT and forwarding)  Put all the
heaving lifting on the inside firewall.  See what crashes.  Move apps from
inside to outside, and see when the crash moves.  If you end up with
everything on the outside firewall, it is some internal "poison packet"
killing you.  If it dies with nothing, it is an external "poison packet."

                                    Lee