[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:44:00 -0700
Aaron -

It sounds like you are using unnecessarily new and powerful hardware to
handle m0n0wall.   I have four different 1.22 versions running on three
different types of hardware for 50+ person corporations as IPSEC VPN's
and firewalls, with no problems and no freezes in over 6 months
(upgraded from 1.21 when 1.22 came out - I don't think there has even
been a single reboot since then on any of these m0n0walls).  In these
cases one system is a Athlon 1200 and the other is a Duron 1800.  Both
main boards are "new" for being old technology, and neither CPU ever
gets up over 1% or 2% usage, so these systems are overkill.  They are
running on USB flash drives and each has 256 meg RAM (because I couldn't
find 128 meg chips new!).

Why run m0n0wall on new Poweredge hardware?  I would actually expect
more problems from new server-specific hardware than I would from older
hardware, as FreeBSD (and Linux!) takes some time to stabilize drivers.
In case this helps, from Newegg the *Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L Socket A
(Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard *for something like 50
bucks and a Duron 1800 for maybe 70 bucks.  These are WAY more than
enough to handle a large corporation, at least in my experience, and I
have had not as single freeze.

Good luck with it!

Jeff