[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:43:48 -0600
>I would use the VIA C3's with the Intel NICS for troubleshooting since they
>should be fine.  I don't know about Realtek stability.  Some of my
>m0n0wall/Linux/*BSD problems I have been able to trace to NIC driver
>issues, and Intel should be stable.
>
> Do you use something to thoroughly test your systems before production?  I
> use "The Ultimate Boot CD" and run Memory and CPU tests on systems to
> verify integrity.  The only regular freezes I have ever experienced in
> m0n0wall or FreeBSD (5 or 6) have been on systems that had small but
> detectable hardware issues, often memory type or timing issues, sometimes
> CPU clock/overclock problems.

The Intel NIC boxes are the ones I'm getting ready for more testing right
now.  I also assumed the Realtek NICs were the source of my problems but
alas they run fine in other installations (less load though, so...).

And unfortunately I never did test anything right before production.  I made
the mistake of assuming "brand new" meant would work well right out of the
box.  I have since learned that lesson and downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD
last week.  I have not had a chance to work with it, but today this stuff
its taking priority.

Aaron