[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Soren Vanggaard Jensen" <svanggaard at hotmail dot com>
 To:  leesharp at hal dash pc dot org, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:33:13 +0000
Hi All,

I have a gut feeling that the lockup problem is caused by ICMP traffic. I
have no hard evidence but...

A year ago i had a problem with a older version of monowall. The same
problem went on for more than 4 months and for 3+ hardware setups. Back
then, the problem suddently disappeared. The only thing that i can think of
is that i removed all ICMP related traffic shaping rules.

Also i saw this:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-06:04.ipfw.asc
I know that the advisory says that only FreeBSD 6.0 is affected - but i
assume that the most recent version of ipfw isn't written from scratch.

Right now i have a monowall installation that freequently freezes. This
particular installation has no ICMP traffic shaping rules, but ICMP traffic
is permitted for specific hosts.

I'd like to ask you guys how youre handling ICMP traffic... If your monowall
freezes up - do you allow ICMP traffic or not? If your monowall never
freezes - do you allow ICMP traffic or not?

BR