[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  scott dot k at facilitywiz dot com (Scott Karch)
 To:  "'SDamron'" <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Split Horizon DNS for large 1:1 NAT installations
 Date:  Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:02:14 -0500
SDarmon,

Thanks for the note. We are currently using slightly older version of Simple
DNS  Plus ( I think that's what you meant to write ). After your post I
looked at the feature list and it's a new feature!!! This will save me HOURS
of work.

Snip--------------
NAT IP alias conversion (New in v. 4.00)
In DNS responses to LAN clients only, this function changes A-records which
are pointing to a public IP address of the NAT router to point to the
corresponding private IP address of a local server. This way, for example
HTTP requests from LAN clients for local web-sites will go directly to the
local web-server instead of via the NAT router (which often does not work).

For M0n0wall users with a large number of 1:1 NAT, this will simplify DNS
maintenance by more than half. Thanks for all your help on this. BTW, I jut
filled out the IP justification form for an additional /29 subnet.