[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Taffic Shapping Question
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:35:39 -0500
The way I read it,
They provided 1.0 Mb/s bandwidth, the 95th percentile means you should
get at least 95% of that speed as a guarantee or 950 Kb/s.
If you go over, say 1.1 Mb/s, they charged $30.00 for every 0.1 or 100
Kb/s over the 1 Mb/s that was allocated for you.

Burstable (not a real word BTW, LOL at company buzz words) bandwidth
means the top speed is actually higher than what it's allocated for.  So
you may have bought 512 Kb/s speed, but the connection might be able to
do 4 Mb/s if it were really put to the test.  I've never heard of a
company charging for Burst speed, but maybe they don't like traffic
shaping or my guess, another business model to make sure the high speed
connection pays for itself.  Otherwise, everyone would get the 128 Kb/s
speed if it could burst to 1 Mb/s for free, why bother paying for 1 Mb/s
then?

M0n0wall will save you a ton of money in this business model because you
can limit both Download/Upload speeds with ease.  M0n0wall might even be
good enough to shave it as close to the costing burst speed as possible
to squeeze out every last bit. So you could buy 512 Kb/s and maybe
traffic shape more along 550 Kb/s or even 576 Kb/s.

Thanks,
Michael