[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan K. Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Taffic Shapping Question
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:14:30 -0400
Here's how I read that Don (and someone else correct me if I'm wrong)

Every 5 minutes, they add up all the data transferred over that time period, and divide by 300 to
get your rate in bits/second.  They do this for both in and out traffic separately.  In a 30 day
month, there will be 8640 samples (30 days x 24hrs/day x 12 samples per hour).  Then they arrange
these samples in order, and lop off the top 432 samples, or 5%.  The largest sample left is
considered your usage in one direction.  They do this for both inbound and outbound separately, then
take the largest of those two to get your usage.  So if your inbound rate after all this is only .4
mbit/sec but your outbound rate is measured at 1.0 mbit/sec, you're going to get charged for 1
mbit/sec usage.

What I think this means for you is that if you pay for a 512 kbit/sec transfer rate and exceed 512
kbit/sec (not the 768k burst rate) more than about 5% of the time, you're going to get charged an
overage fee.  Mathematically for the month, you could average out way below 512kbit/sec rate
overall, but still have to pay overage fees since for 5% of the samples you were over that rate.

From what I understand, this is a relatively typical scheme with burstable connections.

If I were you, I'd set the traffic shaper at the 512k level and leave it.  If you hit the 768k hard
limit for more than 5% of the time (5% of the samples actually, which is really about 36 hours a
month), you'd be paying about $60 in overage fees for that month.

-Bryan