[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall preboot hang on generic p1
 Date:  Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:48:00 -0500
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:06:41 +0200, you wrote:

>> (I try several diferent motherboards from p2 266 to p4,amd xp...),but I
>try 5 p1
>> motherboards and all but one hang at pre boot state (after the disk is
>found and
>> before the page with information about the pc is shown: cpu MHZ ,...) the
>pc
>> does not stop responding becouse if I press a del button it goes  in to
>bios  .
>
>Perhaps it's the hard disk (or some other piece of hardware which you
>plaugged into each of the p1 boards)...maybe something "too modern" for the
>BIOS/chipset.

I have an old Packard Bell P60 I resurrected a couple years ago after finding it
in a broom closet at work that runs m0n0wall just fine.  It uses one of the
earliest Intel PCI chip sets and the one issue I have run across is that because
it implements an earlier PCI version, at least some newer network cards will not
work.  From what I remember, it looked like a BIOS enumeration problem with the
PCI to PCI bridge included on the Intel 10/100 dual port PCI cards.  Currently
it has a pair of PnP ISA NE2000 clones and a pair of no name Realtek PCI cards.
I use it as a backup system these days.