OK, My home mono has been running perfectly for many months. Three days
ago, I added a rule for ICMP and it locked up today.
I have a Netgear wireless router on OPT1 with captive portal and traffic
shaping. There is a windows 2000 machine (with god knows what on it) and
a neoware terminal on OPT1 also. There is not a lot of traffic on this
Rules on opt1 are basically to allow certain ports (RDP) to my LAN and
allow TCP and UDP to the internet once the captive portal is
I was playing with rules in an attempt to get my wife's Nintendo DS to
work on my wireless (which still doesn't work.) I created an entry to
allow the MAC address of the DS to bypass the captive portal. I also
added a rule to allow ICMP. By looking in the log, I found that the DS
is not using ICMP at all, but I didn't remove the rule.
Nothing has changed other than adding the MAC bypass rule and ICMP rule
three days ago.