[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Modem recommendations in UK, multiple IPs, up to 8MB/s
 Date:  Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:31:36 +0100
Tim Vaughan wrote:
> Sadly it seems that the Dynamode modem recommended a few months ago is
> not being sold any more - Scan have them in stock but won't sell
> them(?!).
> Are there any other suggestions of modems which will handle multiple
> IPs and will cope with 8MB/s when my ISP gets round to rolling it out?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim

For ADSL Max you are best with a Texas Instruments chipset based router.
They tend to sync at higher speeds and not drop out so easily during the
BRAS training phase. Our ISP resells Zyxel P660R
(http://aaisp.net.uk/p660r.html) but I have also found the Solwise
SAR-600E (http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar600e.htm) really good with an
exceptionally easy HTML interface for configuration.

Some people on the Solwise forums are complaining that the firewall on
the router misbehaves when it is handling lots of outbound sessions,
however with a m0n0wall behind it this doesn't matter as you'll want to
disable the firewall and NAT. Just ensure that you get your ISP to route
a /30 subnet of IP addresses to sit between the router and m0n0wall.

Best regards
David Cook