[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andreas Ferrari <aferrari at stasoft dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem with MTU
 Date:  Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:36:57 +0200
Hir Chris

ifconfig interface mtu size -> (on https://mym0n0.foo/exec.php)

 > Where are you seeing it as 1495?
sorry I mean 1492 (little writing mistake)

I had to set it because a postfix server behind the m0n0wall still gets
a lot of timeouts.

The mss clamping feature didnt solve my problem..
Only setting it hard with ifconfig (see above) solved the problem... can
you please explain me that, I'm very confused about that and frustrated
of solving a broken MTU discovery paths....

 From the M0n0-interface:
If you enter a value in this field, then MSS clamping for TCP
connections to the value entered above minus 40 (TCP/IP header size)
will be in effect. If you leave this field blank, an MTU of 1492 bytes
for PPPoE and 1500 bytes for all other connection types will be assumed.

If I understand that right then a MTU of 1400 should give me a mss size
of 1360??

> -Chris

regards

Andreas