[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] suggestion on multiport network card
 Date:  Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:13:21 -0500
From: "Fabrizio Lippolis" <Fabrizio dot Lippolis at AurigaInformatica dot it>

>I would like to build a m0n0wall box in a small case in which there are
>only two PCI slots available. Since I need at least 5 interfaces I am
>thinking of using a multiport network card. Does anybody run a similar
>configuration? Any suggestion on which cards to get? Thank you in advance.

A pair of 2 ports are the cheapest.  I do like Intel, as it offloads the CPU
for high traffic.  Also the 4 port Rhine card have been reported to work
very well.  Some links, but probably not local to you... :-)

Very nice Intel Duel port NIC        $34.00
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=nic/pila8472-bk&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw
4 Port ethernet with Rhine Chip    $81-95
http://www.wisp-router.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_33&products_id=267 or
http://www.mikrotik.com/interfaces.php#linx0part0