[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Matt Smith" <msmith at itechnetsystems dot com>
 To:  <tnelson at fudnet dot info>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Nokia IP330... Two port Ethernet Addon Card
 Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:21:21 -0400
>> Tim Nelson wrote:
>>> Hello! Yes... I am starting another thread for a Nokia IP3xx box...
>>> currently have two of them! (See my other thread regarding an
>>> IP380...)
>>> ;-)  I've installed monowall AND pfSense on this box. Both see the
>>> three
>>> ports labeled eth-s(4-5) as fxp0-2. I also have an addon card for
the
>>> expansion slot with two additional ports on it. These are recognized
>>> as
>>> dc0-1. However, when I plug in a cable to either of these three
ports,
>>> am not getting any link lights. I've tried connecting these ports to
>>> another switch with a straight through cable as well as a
crossover...

>>> If the card was bad I'm assuming it wouldn't be recognized by
>>> mono/pfsense... my only conclusion thus far would be simply both
ports

>>> are bad... Does anyone have any other ideas?
>>>
>>> --Tim Nelson
>>

>> I have a few IP330s and IP440s and have run into the same problem.
Most
>> likely your two port add-in card is good. The loss of link is the
result
>> of a driver issue with the FreeBSD 4.x DC driver and the various Znyx
>> NICs that Nokia supplies with its IP series appliances.
>>
>> Znyx has a FreeBSD 4.0 driver available for download from their web
>> site. The downside is that you have to remove the DEC (DC) driver and
>> build the Znyx driver into the kernel.
>> http://www.znyx.com/support/drivers/ZX422_drivers.htm
>>
>> The newer versions of FreeBSD may work with these NICs. You may want
>> try pfSense.
>>
>> -Matt Smith

> Thank you for the info! I've already tried pfSense and have the same
> issue... Someone else mentioned a duplexing issue with the Znyz
boards. It
> would appear my options are:
>
> 1. Replace driver in kernel for full functionality
> 2. Add <media> and <mediaopt> tags to the XML config
>
> --Tim

I haven't tried the media tags yet, if they work please let it be known.
Here is a link to someone who encountered the same issues with a 4 port
Znyx cPCI NIC. http://spic.net/m0n0/readme.txt They also rebuilt a
m0n0wall 1.0 image without the DC drivers and with the ZNB drivers
available here http://spic.net/m0n0/ If all else fails, there is always
option no. 3: A nonfunctional 2 RJ45-port cPCI slot cover ;-)

-Matt