 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall dropping packets when using bittorrent
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:04:20 +0100
Hello,

when using bittorrent on a computer in my LAN, m0n0wall drops about 10% of
outgoing (or incoming, I don't know) packets (I used mtr to find out how many
packets are dropped). The data transfer rates are miserable, and surfing
across the web is almost impossible. When I stop the download, all values are
normal again.

When using only one HTTP or FTP download, the download rates reach something
about 90 kbyte/s, so it's not the data rate, but the connections/second that
m0n0wall doesn't like.

I am using a PPTP ADSL connection (768/128 kbit/s). The same connection worked
very well with IPCop and a home made Linux firewall based on Red Hat Linux
7.3.

Regards,
Andreas Mueller

P.S.
Yes, there are legal things you can download with Bittorrent:
http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/