[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Dany Nativel <dany underscore list at natzo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2 quick questions about PPTP
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:04:59 +0100
Dany Nativel wrote:

> So the two questions are :
>
> - Can PPTP take advantage of a crypto card (like vpn1201/1211) like
> IPSEC ?    Is vpn14101/1411 much better/required ?

No. Although PPTP encryption (MPPE) is based on RC4 (which is supported
by the HiFn-based Soekris VPN accelerators), all crypto is done in
software, because AFAIR MPD/Netgraph don't use the opencrypto framework.

> - What authentication protocol is used on Monowall ( CHAP (M$) or PAP) ?

MD5 CHAP and MS CHAP v1 and v2. I think I'll turn off MSCHAPv1 in future
releases though, because it is also considered insecure. PAP is
plaintext and as such it's always off.

- Manuel