[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MIRC, Yahoo, AOL and ICQ Blocking
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:43:07 +1000
Hi Andy,

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 18:26, Andy Prasetya wrote:
> Dear List Members,
> I have a small network with 12 members, and all of us are connected to
> the Internet via a M0n0Wall router. As long as browsing (HTTP/Port 80)
> and FTP is running, everything runs well. But everytime one or more
> members is activating MIRC/Yahoo/AOL/ICQ, the connection becomes slower
> and slower. So, how to block these chat tools in M0n0Wall configuration?

Actually, mIRC is unlikely to be causing bandwidth issues, as it is a
text-based app - IRC is a plain text-based
protocol/application/whatever, except - of course - when users dcc large
files to each other over it.

As for blocking these services, that's not as easy as it may sound.
Blocking IRC isn't too bad as the vast majority of servers use port
6667.  Blocking AOL/Yahoo/MSN/ICQ is *way* more interesting, as these
protocols will (with *maybe* the exception of ICQ) drop back to use port
80 if their default ports don't work.  This kinda makes blocking them
nigh on impossible.

The best thing to do would be to set up some traffic shaping rules.
I've not played with these yet, so cannot advise beyond this at thi
point in time, but I'm sure that someone on this list has played with
traffic shaping and can chirp in.

When I get a chance to fiddle with traffic shaping, I'll make sure to
document it.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/